The colonic irrigation treatment stimulates bowel activity by using the body’s natural nerve and muscular response mechanisms, so is essentially a natural treatment. By using the body’s natural nerve and muscular activity Colonic Irrigation may help to tone and exercise the bowel, thus aiding the evacuation of waste both during and after treatment. The treatment uses a special machine that has specific controls to maintain a comfortable water temperature and pressure throughout the treatment with built in water filters. Specialised treatment and massage techniques are used to ensure optimum results.
FAQWhy would I ever need to clean my colon? Isn’t it enough to just go to the bathroom?
Unfortunately in 90% of cases just going to the toilet is not enough. You might wonder: “Why?”
Because our “modern lifestyles” are completely unnatural and this leads to a build up of toxic waste in our bodies that accumulates over the years. In this 21st Century it is reported that our body can handle 1 million toxins per day which is truly amazing in itself but unfortunately latest research suggest that we are being exposed to 2.1 million toxins per day. In order to remain at optimum health good nutrition and elimination of toxins is vital.
Our colonic irrigation treatments are held in our dedicated Colonic Irrigation Room with en-suite bathroom and shower facilities for ultimate client comfort and privacy. We use a closed water system which makes it odourless and painless. During the treatment, you may feel some cramping in the stomach and occasionally clients feel slightly nauseous, whenever toxic waste detaches from the intestinal walls and leaves the body, particularly if you have a congested colon.
Colonic Irrigation is very safe and is performed by a qualified therapist and naturopathic nutritionist so you can be reassured that you are in safe hands. We only use CE approved medical devices for the procedure. The water goes through an advanced filtration process prior to entering the colon. Our therapists are fully qualified to meet the highest professional and ethical standards. We only use medical grade disposable speculum and pipes for each treatment to ensure there is no contamination whatsoever
The benefits of colonics can include increased energy, improved circulation, clearer skin, eyes, mental clarity, weight normalizing, better digestions, relief from bloating and heaviness. By removing the waste material from the colon, the process of detoxification is given a boost and the harmful bacteria that is produced by encrusted faecal matter is removed from the body. Colonic Irrigation helps your immune system to help itself, by giving it a chance to breathe and allow the lymph system to effectively cleanse your body. What about “friendly bacteria” being lost?
Healthy intestinal flora are present throughout the small and large intestines and Colonic Irrigation helps to improve their habitat, facilitating their reproduction and multiplication.
Many factors contribute to this faecal and toxic accumulation, the most common are:
- Stress and Poor Eating Habits
- Busy lives and ignoring the ‘urge to go’
- Diets high in wheat/gluten and dairy
- Red meat and processed meat consumption
- Refined Carbohydrates and Sugar
- Processed foods, artificial preservatives, sweeteners and other chemicals
- Bad Fats such as margarine and high intake of animal fats
- Low intake of water with consequent dehydration
- Low intake of vegetables
- High alcohol consumption
- High caffeine consumption
- Fizzy drinks and Concentrated Fruit Juices
As the colon is cleansed, it pushes waste through your system, clearing the way for good nutrient absorption. If waste remains in the body for too long, it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria and illness. A clean colon from a colon detox allows waste to pass easily through your system.
Constipation — especially when it’s chronic — causes a sluggish digestive response, which in turn leaves waste in the system longer. This increases the likelihood that toxins will be released into the bloodstream as your body reabsorbs the toxic water from the colon to try and remain hydrated. It is also a cause of other illnesses and irritations, such as haemorrhoids and varicose veins.
Releasing the toxins from your body is rejuvenating because it refocuses the energy usually used for forcing waste through your intestines to other parts of your body. People who have undergone colon detoxification say they have better blood circulation, more restful sleep and a boost in energy.
A colon that has been cleansed allows only water, vitamins and nutrients to be absorbed into the bloodstream, rather than releasing toxins and bacteria through the colon walls. When the colon is cleansed and hydrated, it helps essential nutrients to be more effectively metabolised and absorbed.
Poor diet and ineffective vitamin absorption can cause you to become distracted and lose your concentration. The build-up of mucous and toxins in your colon can keep your body from getting what it needs to function, even if you eat a consistently healthy diet. Cleansing the colon with a detox diet can be the difference between feeling alert and not being able to focus. This has far-reaching ramifications for work, your relationships and a better sense of well-being.
Foods lacking in fibre move through the digestive tract at one-quarter the pace of high-fibre choices. This slow-moving food produces excess mucous that literally sticks to the intestinal walls, weighing the intestinal tract down with pounds of decaying faecal matter. A cleansed and hydrated colon can result in significant weight loss by improving your metabolism, as well as refocusing your attention on better food choices and whole-body wellness.
All the toxins that you eat, drink, breathe in and absorb through your skin end up being processed by your gastrointestinal system and liver. If they are not forced from your colon and liver as quickly as possible, they can wreak havoc on your body’s systems. By releasing stagnant body waste, you reduce the causes and the risk of polyps, cysts and cancerous growths in your colon and gastrointestinal tract.
Sadly, for all the factors previously described, bowel cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in non smokers in the western world.
- Every year more than 16.000 people die of bowel cancer in the UK.
- More than 149.000 people died from bowel cancer the year 2008 in Europe.
- Bowel Cancer killed a total of about 600.000 of people in the year 2008 in the entire world.
These sad statistics help a lot in understanding the great danger of our unhealthy modern lifestyles. Even those that think to be following a so-called “good” diet will be surprised by the amount of faecal waste that has accumulated in their colon.
Colon cleansing, as well as increased fibre intake and healthy food choices, improves regularity and helps keep your weight under control. Fat is oestrogen-based, and if too much is present, becoming pregnant becomes more difficult. A colon that is weighed down by years of build-up can also press on the uterus and surrounding reproductive organs in women, causing strain.
Colon cleansing rids the body of many chemicals and toxins that affect the egg and sperm. Many naturopaths recommend that both partners undergo colon cleansing before attempting pregnancy.
Foods that cause colon blockages are acid-forming — particularly high-protein diets without enough fibre. This leads to general malaise in the body. The tissue of the colon eventually becomes diseased and inflamed, reducing the colon’s ability to do its job, which is to allow only water, minerals and vitamins to pass into the bloodstream. If yeasts, moulds, fungus, bacteria, parasites or faecal material enter the bloodstream and connective tissue, the body’s pH will be thrown out of balance as well as leading to more serious health risks.
Ridding the colon of waste and toxins by releasing layers of colon build-up can lead to feelings of lightness, strength and overall good health.
- Resolve constipation. Unlike damaging laxatives, Colonics do not make the bowel lazy. Colonic Irrigation exercise and strengthen the bowel, promoting a return to regular, complete bowel movements. A clean, healthy and fully functioning bowel will drastically reduce the probability of you incurring bowel cancer.
- Feel lighter, fresher and energised. Relief from lethargy and fatigue. Mental clarity, reduced headaches, enhanced sleep.
- Resolve problems such as I.B.S (irritable bowel syndrome), bloating, wind, diarrhoea, heartburn.
- Resolve skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, acne.
- Create a clean, healthy environment for friendly bacteria to grow. Resolve Candida, thrush, bad breath. Enhance absorption of vitamins and minerals.
A course of colonics may assist you in losing inches or weight due to the release of stored waste material and gas. Following a deep cleanse you will feel more motivated
No. There is little odour from the bowel movements as the system is “closed” and your dignity is always maintained with proper draping in a private room. As professional therapists we are used to people feeling nervous, especially before a first treatment. Part of our job is to put you at ease and ensure you are comfortable about having your treatment.
Every person is different and changes in our lives create different stresses, so there is no standard number of treatments that are recommended. We suggest you book a single treatment initially and discuss with your therapist during the consultation what their recommendations are. In our experience we have found that a course of 3 treatments over an initial 2-3 week timeframe produces the best results with regular maintenance thereafter.
The colonic treatment takes around 25 to 45 minutes on the couch. Extra time is built in to each session for consultation. Prior to your first appointment we will send you a detailed consultation via out appointments App. This will take a full medical case history, and explain the procedure and treatment process to you. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions. At each follow up treatments we will conduct a review of your progress and note any relevant changes to your diet, lifestyle and well being.
We recommend that you refrain from eating at least two hours prior to your appointment and ensure that you are well hydrated. If possible, a diet of vegetables, fruits and grains 2-3 days in advance rather than heavy foods and red meats as this will help prepare your colon for the treatment. Do not drink alcohol 24 hours in advance. Try and increase your water intake a week leading up to your treatment and aim for 2 litres of room temperature water throughout the day.
Colonics have a “relieving” effect. There may well be a feeling of lightness and often people are energised following a colonic irrigation treatment. Many clients have reported clearer skin. Once the colon has been thoroughly cleansed then diet, exercise and other health programs will become many times more effective. Make sure you drink plenty of liquids, avoid raw vegetables, reduce consumption of meats for a couple of days. Steamed vegetables, fruit and soups are recommended.
Yes, there are conditions where a colonic treatment would not be undertaken. These include conditions such as active infections, active inflammation (for example, diverticulitis, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, etc) a painful fissure or painful current haemorrhoids, Cancer and Pregnancy. In such cases treatment cannot be carried out until they are healed.
Some diseases such as congestive heart disease, severe uncontrolled hypertension, severe anaemia, liver cirrhosis, kidney disease, severe haemorrhaging and colorectal carcinoma are absolute contra-indications to treatment as are some physical conditions such as severe abdominal or inguinal hernias which cannot be easily reduced. If you as a client is in any doubt, please refer to your G.P for advice.
The majority of clients feel fine after a Colonic Irrigation treatment and do not experience any unwanted side-effects. However here are a few simple measures that will ensure you continue to benefit from the treatment and assist in relieving any discomfort you may feel.
- Don’t overeat. Eat simply cooked food and chew well. A diet rich in fruit (unless otherwise specified by your therapist) and vegetables (especially leafy) will add to the cleansing effect and help regulate the bowels. Soups are good straight after a colonic.
- Eat only whole grains, e.g. brown rice, not refined e.g. white flour or white pasta. Refined or white grains and excess dairy products are mucus forming and high in sugars that cause extra fermentation and bloating.
- A small amount of water is absorbed during the treatment and you may notice an increased need to urinate. This is normal, and will subside quickly
- Drink plenty of fluids. If digestion is weak, don’t drink with meals or for 30 minutes before or 1 hour after meals. It is best to avoid excess alcohol for about 24 hours post colonic.
- You may experience some flatulence and bowel sounds – this is due to the bowel bacteria multiplying back up to strength for up to 48 hours after the treatment. Probiotic supplements will be useful and fruit and vegetables will help. You may also opt to have a probiotic enema at the end of your colonic treatment. Please ask your therapist for details.
- If griping occurs, drink hot peppermint, fennel and chamomile infusions and place hot water bottle on your tummy and avoid cold drinks, carbonated drinks and gassy foods. Don’t expect a bowel movement the next day: depending upon your condition, it may take several days before normal bowel movements resume. Avoid rigorous exercise and weight lifting for 24 hours after treatment
- If you experience any continued discomfort, telephone your therapist.
Although Colonic Irrigation is very effective on its own, we specialise in offering a range of personalised cleansing programmes and juice fasts where colonics are an essential part in assisting with the elimination of toxins from your body during the cleansing process. They should be included as an essential element of any Liver Flushes or Cleanses you may undertake. We combine nutritional therapy, lymphatic drainage/detox massage, infrared heat, reflexology and body wraps tailored to your individual needs.
We have a complete range of natural supplements and dietary supports. Please ask your naturopathic health practitioner for more details.
Payment must be made in advance of booking. Cash or debit cards are accepted.
Treatment Time 30-45 mins
Price £75 for initial treatment and consultation Please allow 90 mins for your first appointment
£65 for follow-on treatments. Please allow up to 55 minutes for your appointment.
Payment/deposits must be made in advance of booking. Debit cards accepted. To book your appointment